What is Social Media?
According to Merriam Webster, Social Media is defined as: forms of electronic communication through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (as videos).
While this definition sounds pretty accurate, I would like to elaborate:
Social Media refers to the means of interaction among people in which they create, share and exchange data in a variety of web-based platforms. It is about building long-lasting relationships with not just your customers, but potential customers as well. It’s about sharing ideas, experiences and providing additional means of customer support through text, photos, and video. Social Media has changed the relationship dynamics between people and brands and is one of the most powerful forces for running a successful business…. Social Media connects the world and inspires us.
Why is Social Media Important?
Marketers can’t deny the importance of Social Media in today’s economy. Departments from all organizational levels are extending their Social Media efforts to offer around the clock assistance to their clients.
Below are some reasons why companies should engage in Social Media:
- Social Media is a great way to increase awareness of your brand by building an online audience.
- Customers rely on Social Media for instant information and interaction, whether to share a photo on instagram regarding a particular product or service, or tweet about an experience they had with a customer service representative.
- Social Media offers an opportunity to personalize your own life experiences and share them with the world via pictures, videos or text.
- Social Media is a great tool to generate leads and connect with existing customers.
- Social Media is a vital element and a major influence on all forms of communication and is changing the way businesses and customers interact with one another – especially in the form of customer support.
Before signing up for any social media platform, your Marketing team should develop a Social Media strategy. Consider using these helpful tips:
- Clarify your Social Media goals
- Investigate what your top competitor’s are doing
- Brainstorm valuable content ideas
- Identify how often content should be posted
- Use analytics to track your progress
Once your Social Media strategy is in place, your team should focus on different ways to engage with your customers. Make sure to post content; such as videos, images and text that your existing and potential clients can connect to.
Remember to always establish credibility, and be personable!